
"What comes first??"
"Breakfast."
"No, family, George Michael. Family comes first."
"Oh...I thought you were talking about the food."
I find it somewhat ironic that my favorite sitcom, Arrested Development, starts with a joke involving my favorite meal. Breakfast.
"Breakfast."
"No, family, George Michael. Family comes first."
"Oh...I thought you were talking about the food."
I find it somewhat ironic that my favorite sitcom, Arrested Development, starts with a joke involving my favorite meal. Breakfast.
One day I was talking with some of my closest friends and the topic of breakfast came up. I have a confession:
I LOVE Breakfast.
Without a doubt, breakfast is the most influential meal of the day. Nutritionists can tell you its the most important, and while that may be true, I can say without a doubt that breakfast has the biggest power. Let me explain:
1. Breakfast is SO good. Think of the times recently when you've had a good breakfast. I'm not just saying milk and cereal here. (Though I do love cereal, not gonna lie.) But think of when you had an omlette, or a breakfast burrito, or pancakes, or something on that regard. How did your day go? I submit that you had an AMAZING day. And that AMAZING day started with an AMAZING breakfast. Think about that.
2. Last semester I lived with a good friend, Jaren. Every night Jaren would come to me and say "man, I am so excited for breakfast tomorrow." His love for breakfast was one of his defining characteristics. He was always happy while going to bed because no matter what happened that day, he could look forward to breakfast the next morning. Think about that for awhile. While falling asleep, there should be no worrying about the day's events, because those are things you can no longer control. What can you control? Breakfast the next morning.
3. I'll admit, it is a big sacrifice to eat breakfast in the morning. Sleep is precious and many choose to neglect the breakfast, or just kinda set it aside and not give it the true attention that it deserves. This is a mistake, and must be crossed out of your life. You're just depriving yourself of joy for no good reason. If someone gave you 20 american dollars, would you just say no, i'd rather not have 20 dollars? Of course not, you would take the money, and you should take the breakfast as well. It's worth it.
4. This semester I am part of a breakfast club. Some breakfast afficionados such as myself get together every friday morning before class to enjoy some breakfast. I'll admit, even I was a little bit anxious about the idea when it was first proposed. Looking back, however, that was dumb. Friday morning is great.
Without a doubt, the breakfast club is an amazing success. Not only have I gotten to know some cool people a lot better, I get to eat amazing breakfast every friday morning. This semester we have had pancakes, waffles, breakfast burritos, german pancakes, bacon, orange juice, french toast...the list goes on and on. (Well, actually, the list stops, since we only started doing it a month and a half ago.) Even though we are losing a couple of really good members (moment of silence...), I'm looking forward to another four months of great breakfasts. :)
5. During high school some good friends and I would eat friday morning breakfast at the Senate. Every friday morning. I would get there late from seminary, they would have already ordered hash browns for me. We would eat, and it was so good. Like the current Breakfast Club of which I am a part, it gave me another reason to celebrate Fridays. However, there's more. How cool is that we had the same waitress every friday? That she knew what we were going to order? That we had our own corner table, that one time people took and we got mad? How none of us would ever carpool anywhere, except for will who didn't have a car, and so a caravan of like 6 of us would go to school in a line right afterwards? (I'm too lazy to try to remember who actually went.) Every time I mention Friday morning high school breakfasts at the Senate people get jealous and talk about how great of an idea it was. Who's idea was it, by the way? Probably Ryan. Props to Ryan.
6. Think of all the great restaurants where you can eat breakfast. Around BYU, the two best places would, without a doubt, be Kneaders (unlimited cinnamon french toast? can it get any better??), and Magelby's, but IHOP is pretty good too.
7. I'm trying to think of the best breakfasts I've ever had. When I was little I went with my parents to the top of the Space Needle in Seattle for breakfast at the revolving restaurant at the top...that was pretty sweet. Breakfast in New York City with Dave at that little place was pretty fun. Italians aren't big on breakfast, but I learned how to make a pretty mean frittata with tomatoes, peppers, and onion one August morning in Florence. mmmmmm. Even just the memories that come with various breakfasts: eating oatmeal while camping, warming it up on a fire that is warming you from the bitter cold michigan morning frost...doughnuts at seminary every friday morning...eating bread and cheese that you carried into an ancient Swiss mountain village from the slightly larger village up the valley...fighting your siblings for the cool cereal so you can read the back of the box...giving Chris English two boxes of Apple Jacks and winning the "best birthday gift EVER" title...Christmas morning breakfasts with the family...Cube breakfasts!!!!...taking Torrie and Deanna out to breakfast for their help with halloween costumes and the ensuing turkey dinner...this list really does go on and on and on.
Let me salute then. To Breakfast!
If anyone has great breakfast memories, or thoughts on breakfast, or you want to somehow try to prove me wrong...go ahead and leave a comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment