Thursday, January 22, 2009

Battle of Champions

I’ve seen articles and discussions where people compare superheroes and who would win. (The answer is and always will be Superman. Duh. The number of reasons for this is simply too many to explain in this blog. But…come on. Superman.)

Then there is the “mere mortal” version of such discussions. There are a few usual suspects here as well:

Chuck Norris. Now, I’m not going to touch Chuck Norris here, cause he makes me laugh too much to take him seriously.

Jason Bourne: Are you kidding me? Jason Bourne would beat anyone…and would beat most superheroes as well. It’s no contest.

However, I would like to submit the following controversy for debate:

Two of my favorites. I’m finding it hard to pick sides:

Jack Bauer vs. James Bond.

Let’s get a quick tale of the tape here:

Famous Quotes: “Bond, James Bond.” “WE’RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!”

Drink: Vodka martini, shaken, not stirred. / Does Jack Bauer drink?

Girl: A different one every time. / Teri…Nina…Audrey...

Clothes: Tuxedo / Messenger Bag

Sidekick: Felix / Tony

Technical Help: Q / Chloe O’Brien

Superior: M / President Palmer

Location: Exotic locales all over the world / Los Angeles

I’m going to take the next few days to participate in some serious thought and introspection to decide what I think about this most major of topics. I invite you all to do as well. Feel free to post your comments, and I’ll finish with my answer in a few days as well.

3 comments:

Dave said...

JB, hands down. Jack's appeal is that he's the "everyman", seemingly thrown to the wolves each day, scrambling to survive, get the job down, always working outside the lines and yearning for a normal life. He is always at the edge of sanity. While Bond may often goes around channels an protocol as well, but he always remains a civil servant, part of MI-6, with it's full resources behind him. He's a cool, calculating, killing (and loving) machine.

DNA said...

JACK BAUER. That conclusion may arise from the fact that I hate James Bond. I honestly haven't watched 24 since my Jr year in college 4 years ago, but I remember being hooked. James Bond has no appeal to me. He's not cool, he's an arrogant chauvinistic man. He also seems more unrealistic than Jack.

PS, I think it's really funny that Dave wrote JB. Then argues for both. Indecisiveness may be a problem for him, but I'm not sure.

Dave said...

My point was that, while I like them both, if I have to choose in a mano-a-mano fight to the death, I'd go with Bond.