
My first favorite player was Magic Johnson. I don't know why, as a 5 year old, you decide that you like a player, but I loved Magic. Maybe it was his nintendo game, Magic Johnson's Fast Break. Maybe it was his big smile. It could possibly be that he was an amazing player and I loved especially the way he passed, but naaahh. I cried when I found out he had HIV and couldn't play anymore.

After he retired, I think my favorite player was John Stockton. Again, I loved the way he passed. I also loved the way that he shot free throws. He worked hard and was tough.

So since he retired, I've drifted as far as favorite players go. I always had a favorite team - since I moved to Detroit, I have loved the Pistons. However, the Pistons had no superstar, but instead had an amazing team, so I never really had a favorite player, until I read this article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090511/billups
And it dawned on me. My favorite player, for awhile, has been Chauncey Billups. I just hadn't realized it.
Every single time he quotes he says the word "aggressive". Every single time. If they're playing well, it's cause they're playing aggressive. If they're not playing well, they need to be more aggressive.
I know his nickname in Detroit is Mr. Big Shot, but I am more entranced with how he always has control. The best PG always have control - Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd - it seems like they always know where to go, what to do, where to make the pass.
You could tell his leadership helped the team. He would calm down Rip would he would whine. He would push Tayshaun along, and help him be more aggressive. He'd help the young kids progress. He was coachable and listened to the coach.

The Pistons were one Robert Horry three pointer away from winning the championship twice in a row. (That's still my biggest sports disappointment; Rasheed leaving Horry wide-open in the corner to double Manu in Game 6 of the Finals with very little time left. How do you leave the best playoff clutch shooter ever open???) I don't think anyone remembers that, really. Everyone just thinks they were the team that got lucky and beat a feuding L.A. team.
I do wonder if he had gotten complacent over the last year. However, I don't think he was I know he was injured, and that really hurt his ability to make plays. It made Stuckey look better than he actually was. The part of the story where he was traded Detroit really hurt me and my view of the Pistons' organization. If you were going to get rid of someone….get rid of Rasheed. You'll notice he wasn't in the three that cried together when they found out Chauncey was leaving. That was Rip and Tayshaun.

I've loved that he has flourished in Denver. I knew he would, and I'm cheering for Denver to surprise and win the Western Conference. The Lakers certainly look beatable now, and I know Denver can beat Houston.
He's wearing # 7 because that's John Elway's number. That's pretty cool.
One of my favorite Chauncey moments, however, was an on-the-court interview that he gave after helping Detroit win some double overtime game.
He didn't talk about his clutch shooting. He didn't talk about his leadership. Instead, he said something to the effect of, "Yeah, it was a great game, and I'm tired, and I have to go be a soccer dad tomorrow. My daughter has a soccer game so tomorrow I'm a soccer dad. I just hope she comes out aggressive."

I did make up that last sentence. But he's a good person too.
That's why my favorite basketball player for the last 7 years is Chauncey Billups.
No comments:
Post a Comment