Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What's my Motivation?

I’ve often wondered at the purpose of my blog. Why do I write anything on here? Who is my audience? What should I write about?

Let’s take the birth of my daughter. How much do I want to write about it? Is my blog a journal so that anyone can know about all of the minute details of one of the most important things in my life? Do I make my blog private so that only people I know can read those details? Do I just tell little stories about her to make people laugh?

(I don’t think I want to expose my daughter to the unfettered internet. If I were to do it right now, I’ll probably be making a password-protected blog for people to read about Clara’s progress and maybe see some pictures or video. I think that will be the best way to let friends/family be a part of her life…yet give some privacy. I think I’ll feel a little safer that way.)

Not that I have any real blog-funny stories about Clara. Oh she’s funny, don’t get me wrong. She is MY daughter, after all. It’s just not the type of humor that someone reading a blog would enjoy.

I do have a lot of thoughts about other topics normally associated with blogs. Politics, for example. But am I going to throw out my thoughts on taxation, alternative energy, and foreign policy onto the internet?

Answer: Maybe every once in awhile. I don’t expect a lot of commentary (not that I do on any of my blog entries) but I think that it’s good practice for me to articulate my positions every once in awhile.

Elder Ballard has counseled members of the Church to use social media to talk about our testimonies of the Restored Gospel. Is that something that I feel comfortable talking about? Do I want to use my blog as an outlet for sharing my testimony?

Answer: I probably will, occasionally. I don’t think it will be incredibly overt: “Logan’s Testimony on Tithing and Why You Should Pay it Too” but more like when I talked about how I needed to come up with a new scripture marking system a couple months back. I can talk about the gospel and how it affects my life without being in-your-face about it.

I’ve often talked about sports in the past. I don’t have a lot of outlets to discuss the sports teams that I care about. But does my blog audience care? Do I care if they care?

Answer: I’ll talk about sports occasionally.

To summarize, my blog writing will continue to muddle along. There will be no definitive objective to my blog. I will just keep on stumbling, writing about random things whenever I feel the need to write.

Thank you for your continued patience, my friends.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Best lines: "Oh she’s funny, don’t get me wrong. She is MY daughter, after all."

:-)

Stay funny,
Ash

DNA said...

my advice: don't post all about your kid. i have too many friends who have nothing on their blog but millions of pics and clips of their baby doing nothing. i understand that it's their (and your) life now, and i realize i may just sound like a bitter single 26 year old, but PLEASE keep posting funny, random, non-baby material.