I wanted to put up one of my favorite stories about Joseph Smith on June 27, in honor of his martyrdom in 1844. However, I wasn't online that day. So I'm putting it up today. I wish I had been able to be there.
Elder Parley P. Pratt (1807–57) recorded an occasion when the Prophet’s extraordinary teaching ability influenced thousands in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: “A very large church was opened for him to preach in, and about three thousand people assembled to hear him. Brother Rigdon spoke first, and dwelt on the Gospel, illustrating his doctrine by the Bible. When he was through, Brother Joseph arose like a lion about to roar; and being full of the Holy Ghost, spoke in great power, bearing testimony of the visions he had seen, the ministering of angels which he had enjoyed; and how he had found the plates of the Book of Mormon, and translated them by the gift and power of God. He commenced by saying: ‘If nobody else had the courage to testify of so glorious a message from Heaven, and of the finding of so glorious a record, he felt to do it in justice to the people, and leave the event with God.’
I admire his courage. The more I read and study his life, I am consistently hit by two things:
1. His conviction
He would do what he believed God commanded, no matter what the consequences.
2. His lack of hypocrisy
I look at my life and see many times when I do not fully practice what I profess to believe. I do not see that with Brother Joseph.
A quick note, for context's sake: For me, personally, the most important thing that God accomplished through Joseph Smith is that through his works - such as his teachings and sermons, the restoration of the Priesthood, the translation of the Book of Mormon - he allowed me to know more about Jesus Chris and His atonement.
1 comment:
How can people NOT believe in the gospel when they hear these stories. Love it! If only I had a sliver of his character.
Post a Comment