Wednesday, March 11, 2009


1984

So I read 1984 the other day. I think I remember writing an essay about it in high school without ever reading it, but I finally checked it out from the library the other day and read it.

My thoughts on the book:
1. 1984 was the year I was born.
2. It was one of those books that was written not to tell a good story, but to send a message. I like books that do more of the first, though I suppose that every good story actually tells a message. No, this one has no uprising proletariat coming back to restore freedom to the world, it has no Brotherhood actually existing and overcoming, but rather has Big Brother and the Thought Police and the rulers continuing to rule and exert power over everybody else. I understand Orwell’s point. I appreciate it. I don’t think any of us what any of that to happen. That doesn’t mean that I liked reading the book. I’m not going to want to read it again.
3. Freedom is too important and too natural for something like this to ever happen. All men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights is an idea and a thought so ingrained in the world now that a revolution like the one mentioned wouldn’t take hold.
4. I wanted to give a thought on how government isn’t always horrible like the Party in 1984, and that when we read something like this, our knee-jerk reaction is to go all the way back. However, since that reaction is already happening in our society, and I think it’s wrong. I’m okay with government, but I think that, generally, the less we have it, the better.
5. I’m grateful for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ which teaches true, correct principles and then lets us govern ourselves.

1 comment:

Torrie Schultz said...

YOU checked it out from the library?