So I have to say I was surprised when one day, a few years ago, we were in the car together. A song came on the radio: “Smooth” by Santana featuring Rob Thomas. A perfectly respectable song, one that I enjoy quite a bit. My dad turned up the volume way out loud and we rocked out to the song. After it was over, he turned to me and said: “Logan, that is the best song. Ever.”
Now again, I need to say that I like the song. But did it deserve the title, “Best Song Ever”? What about “Bohemian Rhapsody”? What about “Stairway to Heaven”? “Hotel California”? What about “Mambo #5”? (Just kidding about the last one.)
After I mentioned my concerns with his conclusion, he simply responded: “Smooth is the best song ever. Case closed.”
After many years I finally came to terms with my dad’s choice. It’s his “Best Song Ever” and it can be whatever he wants it to be.
I went for many years without a “Best Song Ever”. How could I pick a song with such a huge variety of songs that I like?
Well, a few months ago I figured it out. A recent vacation to the Florida Keys solidified it in my mind. The Best Song Ever is “Kokomo” by the Beach Boys. No better song has ever been made. Case Closed.
Feel free to contribute with your best song ever. Just know that, deep down, it doesn’t top the smooth harmonies of the Beach Boys (or, I guess, the Muppets, depending on the version.)

4 comments:
"If you wanna be my lover"-Spice Girls. haha. :)
Clearly the best song ever written is She's an Angel, by They Might be Giants. But, Kokomo isn't even the Beach Boys' best song. That title would belong to their version of Sloop John B.
No offense to Mr Dave Schultz, but I don't even like that Santana song. I always change the station when it comes on.
When it comes to classic rock, I like "take the money and run" Steve Miller, though I'm sure the lyrics aren't that great. It's fun to clap too! ha.
Other than that, there are some great country songs, but I'm sure everyone would boo that.
No offense taken, and I hope you won't take any when I say that the Steve Miller Band was the worst band of the 70's. I hate ALL their songs.
Post a Comment